Ways to Give 2.2

Workplace Giving

Many companies have different opportunities for their employees to make donations to organizations they care about through a workplace giving program. These programs are set up in varying ways; some during specific times of the year, while others are open year-round. If your company has a workplace giving program, consider giving to Urban Homeworks.

For questions or additional information, please contact Emily Lassiter, Senior Development Officer, at EmilyL@Urbanhomeworks.org.

Mail a Check

You can donate by mailing a check to the Urban Homeworks office! Please be sure to include your name, address, and any additional information about your gift with the check. Our mailing address is:

ATTN: Paul Vliem
Urban Homeworks
927 W Broadway Ave, Suite 301
Minneapolis, MN 55411

Donate by Phone

If you would like to make a donation over the phone with a credit card or checking account, please contact Emily Lassiter, Senior Development Officer, at 612-429-0374.

Stocks & Bonds

Donating stock allows you to avoid capital gains taxes. You can donate your shares to your favorite charity and neither you nor the charity will pay taxes on that money. You can also deduct the full fair market value at the time of the gift from your taxable income if you are itemizing your deductions, lowering your total taxable income.

Gifts of stocks/bonds are typically transferred without information that identifies the donor. Please contact Emily Lassiter, Senior Development Officer, when making a gift so we can give proper gratitude: EmilyL@Urbanhomeworks.org 

  • Brokerage Firm: Charles Schwab
  • Account Number: 6415-9968
  • Account Name: Urban Homeworks, Inc
  • Tax ID Number: 41-1821520

Will & State Designation

Many Urban Homeworks supporters choose to leave a donation in their wills and trusts as an important way to have long-term impact, without any upfront cost during their lifetimes. Making a will is one of the most impactful ways to extend your love and generosity to the causes and people you care about most. Legacy giving isn’t only for the wealthy—gifts of any size are deeply appreciated. Together, we can continue making an impact for years to come.

If you are interested in including UHW and our mission in your legacy giving, please contact Paul Vliem, Development Director, at PaulV@urbanhomeworks.org

Donate Property

Are you considering selling a home, vacation property, or rental property? Consider giving it to Urban Homeworks! All donated properties are eligible for an income tax deduction for the fair market value of the home. As a 501c3, Urban Homeworks is not required to pay capital gains taxes, which means we can leverage the full value of your gift to put more people in dignified, affordable homes!

Interested in learning more about this process? Contact Paul Vliem, Development Director, at PaulV@UrbanHomeworks.org.

Donor Advised Funds

You can recommend a grant to Urban Homeworks from your Donor Advised Fund (DAF), as well as the grant amount. Contact your financial institution or foundation, or call your philanthropic advisor or fund manager and let them know you would like to make a gift. The grant will arrive at Urban Homeworks with only the institution’s name and address on it. Please request for your name and address to be included with your grant.

We recommend that you contact Urban Homeworks to inform us of your gift, so we are able to extend proper gratitude for your generosity. For questions, contact Paul Vliem, Development Director, at PaulV@Urbanhomeworks.org.

Qualified Charitable Distribution

You are required to begin drawing from your traditional IRA at age 72; those distributions are taxed at ordinary income tax rates. Your annual income is then boosted, potentially bumping you into a higher tax bracket. The Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) rule allows you to donate those distributions to a charity and deduct the donation from your total taxable income. To make a QCD, contact your IRA custodian and let them know that you’d like to donate some or all your IRA distributions to the charity of your choice and they will cut the check from your account to your designated charity! 

For questions or additional information, please contact Emily Lassiter, Senior Development Officer, at EmilyL@Urbanhomeworks.org.

Retirement Asset Designations

Typically, retirement assets left to individuals in an estate leave those individuals with a tax burden when the funds are received. Retirement assets where a nonprofit, like Urban Homeworks, is named as a beneficiary pass to the organization at full value, avoiding income taxes. When reviewing estate plans with your attorney and financial advisor, consider leaving your IRA, 401k, or other retirement asset(s) to Urban Homeworks.

For questions, contact Paul Vliem, Development Director, at PaulV@Urbanhomeworks.org.

Thank you for supporting our mission and vision.

If you need help making a donation to Urban Homeworks, please reach out to Senior Development Officer Emily Lassiter at 612-429-0374 or EmilyL@urbanhomeworks.org.